Picture this: Your next group tour is all put together and nearly sold out! (Great accomplishment)
Now: Do you find yourself continually answering the same questions via email or phone?
Imagine this: What if there was a way to provide:
- a sense of community
- relay information and
- ensure the itinerary is available for all participants; 24/7.
This scenario of keeping your ‘group in the loop’ is no longer a dream.
Building a sense of camaraderie and community before your group even departs can be a key part of its success on the road and in terms of future bookings. While the pre-group meeting and document party is a mainstay in our industry, what if there was another way to keep growing that sense of community?
Group Tour & Groups on Facebook
Facebook Groups are a perfect tool to build a sense of belonging amongst group members before, during and after the tour.
Simply start a private or closed group on Facebook and add each group member (how to create: http://bit.ly/FBgroupTvl). Members have the opportunity to communicate with each other by asking and responding to questions as well as posting photos.
Here’s a couple of key ways to use a Facebook Group for your next group tour:
- Include only group tour passengers in this group. This will keep the focus clear and help build relationships within the group.
- As the group coordinator, post the itinerary as a document in the group. Each group member will have 24/7 access to the itinerary.
- Before the tour a Facebook Group is a perfect place for people to ask questions. As the group coordinator, you can now answer a question 1 time, rather than fielding the same question via email and phone. Your answers can be seen by all group members.
- Remember to include video posts as well.
- Group members will naturally ask and answer each other’s questions. As the group coordinator, you can always seed that conversation with questions to get it rolling.
- During the tour people can share photos & video within the group
Create a Group on Facebook
# = Hashtags = Community
Wouldn’t you love a way to easily aggregate conversations about your next group tour? It’s a great way to keep participants in the loop as well as to entice potential new participants.
Starting a new # (hashtag) for each new group tour departure gives participants a chance to stay up to date before, during or after their tour. Plus it’s a great way for participants’ family and friends to follow along and live vicariously.
Don’t make the mistake of using too many # on Facebook. Here’s why.
When considering a new #, do a bit of research to see if that # is being used already. Test it out not only on Facebook, but also on Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat. This will help your new # stand out and be found by the right people.
During your tour, encourage passengers to use the # when they post on their social sites. As the tour coordinator, you can then search by this # and comment or share passenger posts.
Streamlining important information and creating an atmosphere of community and enthusiasm are key to the success of your group tours.
- Facebook Groups and unique hashtags are the perfect tools for this endeavor.
- Facebook Groups for individual tours will give your clients an air of having the inside scoop while also providing a platform for delivering essential information.
- Hashtags will keep the fun rolling for your clients and simultaneously get the word out to potential new clients.
Which tools are you using to assist your group tour clients?
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.