Quick question—how do some travel pros manage to keep their blog so active & SEO ranking so high… all while travel is booming again? Here’s 3 steps and some time-saving insider tips that are bringing great results for my clients and other savvy travel pros.
Blog Open Rates
Picture this; you’ve just put the repurposing tips in the video above into action and you now have a bevvy of blog post reinventions.
The next step is getting readers to open and actually read (not skim) your blog can be tricky, so let’s break it down into 2 sections: grabbing attention and holding onto it! Once you ace these key points you’ll find your SEO ranking rising along with your readership.
Blog Titles that Grab Attention
Did you know: On average, 8 out of 10 people will read headline copy, but only 2 out of 10 will read the rest of your content. This means that capturing attention starts with a catchy blog title.
Many times when I write a blog post, I finish the entire post before even thinking about the title. Oh, sure, I have an outline and maybe a working title. Once the post is written and edited I brainstorm 8-10 different titles. But how to know which one will work best?
Tools to Write Better Blog Titles
Test each title out using one or more of these tools:
- Impact Blog Title Generator from BlogAbout. Simply enter your key words or topic of your newly written blog and this tool generates amazing title variations. When you click the ‘heart’ icon that new title is saved to a notebook. Slick!
- SEOPressor not only is a Word Press plug-in, it’s an outstanding blog title generator. The thing that sets this tool apart is the option to choose the best description for your key word. You tell the tool if your key word is:
- An industry
- A generic term
- A brand/product
- A skill
- A location
- A persons name
- An event
- Giving your new title a grade is the job for CoSchedule’s Headline Analyzer. Just add your intended blog title into this tool and you’ll receive a score as to how well it will convert!
Bonus tip: I use these tools in tandem. First, I generate a number of blog titles on my own and test them in the Headline Analyzer. Then I use a title generator to come up with a range of titles which I then test in the Headline Analyzer. The top scoring title is the winner.
Skim-Proof Blog Posts – Holding Attention
Once a reader opens your blog post and reads that first attention-grabbing first paragraph, getting them to serious read the rest of your blog takes some know-how.
One of the best solutions to keep readers reading is to give them a break!
That’s right, build in some white space to give their minds a chance to catch up with their eyes.
Short paragraphs filled with short sentences have impact!
Here’s a number of other solutions to skim-proof your writing:
- Use frequent sub-titles (notice the subtitles are a different color?)
- Bold key words (how many bold words can you find?)
- Embed Video (example at the top of this post)
- Include infographics, charts, lists (hmmm…is this another example?)
- Bullet points make a bang! (did you notice this example?)
- Create section banners (see examples in this post)
- Embrace editing! (this really started as a 1000 word post…not really)
Revamp blog content and reclaim some time from your busy day. The result…the web-crawlers will give you better SEO ranking and your readers will love the updated, relevant info.
Which of your blog posts will you tackle first?
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.