How willing are you to spend your hard earned dollars to reach more fans? If you’re still on the fence about paying for social ads, consider this:
- Newspaper advertising costs $32 to reach 1000 people, Facebook advertising costs $0.25 to reach 1000 highly targeted people.
- In the next 5 years marketers expect social to account for 15.8% of ad spending
Pay to Play
Now that Facebook is allowing ads to contain video, the playing field is getting even more interesting and focused. Creating and placing ads on Facebook is an exceptional way to reach more of your own fans as well as a targeted new audience.
Setting the parameters of target audiences can be as simple or in-depth as your time and talent dictates. Consider these features of targeting:
- Focusing on behaviors provides you with a travel option that allows you to select people “planning to travel” and/or “frequent travellers”
- In the “Interests” section you have the option to choose “hobbies and activities”. In this section the choices for travel include an interest in adventure, cruises, theme parks. In the “arts & music” section you have options to target those interested in fine art, performance art or sculpture. In the “food and drink” section you can target those interested in certain cuisines or beverages.
Advertising Target Options – Facebook
No matter the focus of your upcoming tour you can pin point interested Facebook users and set your budget to reach a select audience. I set my budget at $10 and can easily reach 1300 targeted people. Not a bad value.
Tip: Imagine the possibilities! If your next group is focused on art museums, live theater and culinary experiences your ad can be crafted to reach only interested Facebook users including your fans and others not yet affiliated with your page.
Creating Custom Audiences and Target Audiences are crucial to your campaign as well.
Custom Audiences: upload your email contact list and Facebook will search out these users and present your ad to them. More details here.
Target Audiences: pre-select the demographics that meet your needs and re-use these targeted audiences in future ads. This saves you the time and effort of recreating the behaviors and interests we explored above. Common mistakes can be avoided.
NEW! “Call to Action” buttons are a phenomenal way to stand out in a reader’s timeline. These call to action buttons invite readers to take a designated action, saving you the space in your post. It looks like this:
Call to Action button choices include:
- Book Now
- Learn More
- Shop Now
Twitter advertising is similar in targeting and value to Facebook. Consider whether your audience or potential new audience is on Twitter. When you begin setting up your ads you can create Twitter Cards that provide readers with additional content, photos and calls to action.
Pull together your marketing puzzle with these choices:
Twitter card choices:
- Summary Card – include a large image with a link. Great way to draw attention to your latest blog or landing page for an upcoming tour.
- Photo Card – features a large image and description. Useful for art or photography.
- Gallery Card – include up to 4 photos in a tweet. Consider this for a collage of an upcoming tour or event.
- App Card – for businesses who have or sell apps.
- Player Card – inputs live audio or video into your tweet. Focus on video and maximize it on Twitter.
- Product Card – if selling a product you can include a product photo, price and other details.
- Lead Generation Card – readers include their email and you grow your mailing list. Amplify your marketing with this cross-marketing option.
- Website Card – draw traffic to your website. Want more SEO? Boost it with this card.
Your target audience is waiting for you online. Paid advertising on social sites is a sure way to get them connected with you! Which strategy listed above will you try first?
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism