Are you ready to give up on social ads?
Maybe you don’t feel like your ads are generating any interest. Well, you’re not alone; 62 Percent of Small Business Owners Say Facebook Ads Miss Their Targets
Stop wasting your time and effort creating ads that fail!
But wait….why even look at this if social ads fail so often?
Here’s the deal; out of all of the B2C companies using social media, 97% of them use Facebook!
“Facebook is connecting people to brands and products. In fact, 78 percent of American consumers have discovered retail products to buy via Facebook (Kleiner Perkins, 2018).” (source)
It matters! It works!
Let’s explore 4 steps to get you on the road to fail-proof ads today!
#1 – Ad Audiences Matter – Talk to the Right People
The first step to successful ads is nailing your audience! Sure, the easy way is to simply target by age, location and some simple demographics.
But what many marketers don’t realize is that there’s way more opportunities to make sure you’re talking to the right people.
For example, let’s say you’re considering marketing a tour to the Holy Lands. Start by doing some research into people who typically travel to this area by checking:
- Destination visitor stats. Is there a particular age visitor that eclipses all other ages?
- Your own past traveler stats. What other common interests do these group travelers share?
- Reach out to people who have traveled to this region to better understand their reasons for choosing the destination.
The next step is to build an avatar of the perfect client. Ask yourself these questions as you develop your avatar and future ad audiences:
Tip: If you’re talking to the wrong people, your ad simply won’t perform!
#2 – Words Matter in Ads – Say What they Want to Hear
Have you bought a new computer lately? My last experience was with a salesperson who talked about how amazing a particular laptop was for gaming! Hmmm…I don’t game and probably don’t fit the demographic of the average gamer. I left that store as soon as possible.
Your audience is the same. They want to feel like you’re talking directly to them personally. But how do you accomplish this? When you understand your audience, you’ll know the questions they’re most likely to ask. You’ll know their pain points, sentiment and buying habits. Then you can then address those questions in the text of your ad or in your video designed for the ad.
When you know the main reasons a traveler picks a destination or style of travel, you’ll be able to address these key points. Yep, it all boils down to creating the most comprehensive avatar you can!
What else besides words will grab the attention of people as they’re scrolling thru their feeds?
- Emoji. Check out some unique Emoji by using tools like EmojiPedia, IconEmoji or i2Symbol.
- # (hashtags). Research # to determine which ones perform best for you own avatar audience. How about checking some of your suppliers posts to see what # they use.
- Call to Action (CTA). Make sure it’s easy for people to know what step you want them to take next. You can have a call to action right in your ad text as well as select a CTA button when setting up your ad.
- Most important is a hook! By this I mean some wording that makes it impossible for people to ignore your offer or content. Wording that creates demand and positions your offer as irresistible. That being said, we don’t want to be spammy as people will see right thru the spam and scroll to get away as quickly as possible.
- Avoid these words and maximize the reach of your ads
The bottom line is that your ad needs to grab their attention (Emoji), be searchable by topic (hashtag) and sound like it’s from a friend in the know. Whew! That’s a tall order and a reason why many social ads don’t work.
#3 – Science Matters – Testing & Tweaking ads
Wouldn’t it be cool if you could test out a couple of versions of that ad to see which one will resonate best with your unique audiences? Guess what—you can! But be careful—there are 2 ways to test your ads and one works far better than the other! Tune in and save yourself time and money.
#4 – Persistence = Advertising Success
Lastly, the subtle art and science of social ads involves never giving up! There are always changes to the ads platforms, adjustments you can make and the ever-changing sentiments of travelers to help guide you to the best ad campaigns for your business.
Don’t give up on your social ads! Tweak! Test! Turn your ad campaigns into success stories!
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.