Do you love meeting clients for coffee? Meeting over coffee gives us a chance to share photos, relay stories and even check our phone video cache. Imagine if you were able to create similar connections socially.
Visuals connect us emotionally and on a human level with our clients & colleagues, fans & followers.
Photos are a picture perfect way to showcase our world of travel. Both Pinterest and Instagram have unique features to help us inspire fans to join our conversations and our tours. Let’s compare.
80% of Pinterest users are women, consider how many of your female clients make the final travel decisions. 31% of internet users, 26% of all US adults use Pinterest. Of the women that use Pinterest most are college educated with an income above $75,000/year. (source)
What great reasons to focus on creating amazing boards and uploading your best photos.
- Create unique boards for each destination, activity, culinary option, ship, etc in your marketing campaign.
- Tip: include the link to your website in each board description. Use the link that will drive people to a landing page for your campaign.
- Set up group boards to facilitate collaboration.
- Upload photos in portrait format.
- Post video
- Create long pins & infographics showcasing destinations and activities
- Add your blog posts and create long pins with the blog title
- Send boards to clients using Pinterest Messages.
- Ads are available
- Analytics are relevant and easy to use
32% of internet users (28% of all US adults) use Instagram. 55 percent of all online 18- to 29-year olds in the U.S. are using Instagram. 31 percent of women and 24 percent of men regularly use Instagram to like, share, and post. (Source)
Exciting integration with Facebook makes it easier to advertise across both platforms from Ads Manager or Power Editor. Other exciting elements set Instagram apart:
- Photo filters
- Ability to add text to images right from the Instagram app
- # and @ is a profound way to gain more traction
- Go LIVE now on Instagram. Live streaming video has arrived in Stories
- Create Stories to curate a number of images and gain more viewing time
Quality face to face connections, like coffee, will never go out of style – even in our high-tech world! Being able to see each other’s faces and experiences allows for a super meaningful connection with clients online. Make these connections happen by using live streaming to the best of each platform’s ability. Now you can go live on a variety of platforms; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope and….who knows who will follow next.
Live Streaming Strategies
- Market your broadcast in advance—create a remarkable headline/title
- Test in advance to check lighting and positioning
- Invite questions in advance
- Live—stay in the moment.
- State the questions you see popping up on the screen and answer them
- Reiterate and re-introduce as viewers join in randomly
- Add fun and value
- If you have high retention, keep going with great content
- Save to your page. Share the replay on other social sites if relevant
- Edit to add title, tags, captions, etc.
- I like to use a tri-pod to stabilize –still a bit shaky
- Try an external mik for better sound quality
Let’s compare Periscope and Facebook Live.
This live streaming video platforms allow you to interact with your fans while creating video. How about inviting your clients to join you on Periscope while you interview your BDM. Your clients can chime in with questions and you can record it on Periscope. ll this in a live streaming video format.
- Direct potential new clients to your Periscope recording for more information
- Broadcast saved in Periscope for 24 hours
- Save broadcast to your own phone’s camera roll
- NEW! Save online when insert “#save” into the title
- Learn more here
It is predicted that video will generate 70% of traffic across Facebook’s properties; Instagram, WhatsApp and Facebook in the next 5 years. Some cool new features include:
- Add styles to your video while recording it. Styles are coming soon and act like filters
- Broadcast within Facebook Groups
- Automatically saved to your Timeline
- Save to your camera roll
- Viewers can subscribe
- Tap into your existing audience
- Go Live from your desktop. Check out these helpful tools.
Spreading the word about your live stream is easy on your other social sites. Create posts, tweets and graphic invites and market traditionally and socially.
Check out these additional tips to market socially.
Putting some caffeine into marketing your next campaign is as easy as following the steps above.
Whether you’re marketing an exclusive group, a new ship, a unique destination or a special supplier promotion, you can use these tips for a caffeine jolt of creativity and a new perspective. It’s like adding the swirl and sprinkles to your next promotion.
Which platforms do you use most?
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism