Back when I first started shooting video I used to stare at the keyboard (procrastinating). I’d then search online for what other people were doing (time-suck). And then I left my desk to get glammed up thinking inspiration would come to me from my make-up bag! (NOT!).
After 40 minutes I still had nothing anywhere close to video content. Nada! Zilch!
Does that sound familiar?
The other day a travel pro asked me; “Why even bother shooting video…it takes so much time! Who’s watching travel & tourism videos now anyway?”
That got me into research mode and here’s what I found. In their 2020 report, Wyzowl found:
- 83% of video marketers say video helps them with lead generation.
- 87% of video marketers say video has increased traffic to their website.
- 80% of video marketers say video has directly helped increase sales.
Ok, so if you’re like me, you’d love to see increased lead gen, traffic and sales, right!
Here’s what’s helping me to create video content more quickly and effectively.
First, I start by asking myself a couple of questions to narrow my focus during the planning process. My process focuses on the 3-W’s—Who, Where & What.
Video Creative Planning Process
- Who’s the audience?
- Create an avatar highlighting the demographics, interests and travel style of your perfect client and the person you hope watches your video.
- Where will you post/use it?
- Social posts
- Social ads
- Consumer event-on-line or off-line
- Live stream broadcast
- PRO TIP: Fit the video time and style to meet the criteria of the platform where it will be used.
- What’s the key takeaway?
- What do you want the viewer to do with the info
- How do you want the viewer to feel during and after watching
- What’s the 1 nugget you want them to share with their friends
Video Content Planning Process
Once you’ve decided on the ‘who, where and what’, it’s time to got to work to plan your content. For many savvy marketers this is the hardest part. Yet, for those who have a clear definition of their audience, this is super easy!
Each week I plan, create and produce 2-3 videos. Here’s the content process I’ve been using and tweaking over the years.
- Attention-grabbing opening
- A question is always a powerful opener
- A statistic that’s alarming and/or supports your point is an equally good choice
- Examples of how your content applies to the audience
- People love to hear stories
- Graphics/screenshare that support your content
- Grab the opportunity to screen share to provide how-to’s or behind the scenes glimpses
- Edit your video to tune-up any slip-ups
- Here’s 3 little details that make a huge difference.
- Branding opportunities
- Add your contact info at the end
- Include your logo and name in the bottom-third of the video
- Use a custom background or green screen options that support your topic
- Stage your set-up to include props or branding
- CTA – Call to Action
- During the creative planning process, you already planned out what you want viewers to do after watching your video, now ask them to do it.
- Keep the call to action clear and concise. For example:
- “Download your travel guide now.”
- “Let’s connect and plan your next getaway”
- “Pop your answer to my poll question in the comments section”
- “Join our live-stream on _____”
- Close with Class
- Close off your video on a high note that leaves them looking forward to seeing the next video episode.
Pro Tip: To be honest, many times I write the content first, then the opening! Sometimes it’s easier to nail the opening once all the other bits are in place and the path is laid out.
Video Mistakes to Avoid
Video can be tricky! Audio in a video can be even trickier. Check out these 2 game-changing hacks that encourage viewers to stick around longer. (hint: they’re super-easy)
Now that you have a roadmap to plan and create your next video what will be your opening?
Have fun getting creative and shooting your next social video!
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.