“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.”
Wise words from psychiatrist Victor Frankl. The travel and tourism industry is facing major changes that are out of our control. What we can control however, is our ability to change ourselves and the ways we do business. Here are a couple strategies that you can use to adapt your travel biz to our current situation.
Professionalism: Know Your Niche
Have you noticed that distilleries are now producing hand sanitizers? Niche specialization and re-invention is everywhere these days.
In our changing world those specializations have changed to reflect these new times. While I don’t want to use the word pivot here, what can you do to seize the opportunities that are inherent to your niche?
Here’s a fresh take on the possibilities.
Do this now:
- Switch up your niche if needed. How can you tweak your specialty a bit to seize new travel opportunities? How can you be like the distillers who make a new product that’s hiding in plain sight?
- Check out the training and opportunities at The Travel Institute. Throughout the year there are events to help solidify your expertise.
- Toot your own horn! That’s right, now’s the time to promote your professionalism and help people understand that you’re an expert in your niche. Try this:
- start a podcast
- host webinars and team up with other experts
- create a lead magnet (check out these content ideas)
- Promote your lead magnet with these 3 tips
- build a marketing funnel
- check out these funnel building tools
- embrace the e-newsletter (yep, e-mail is alive and flourishing)
- Tune in to the video for a way to send emails for FREE thru Facebook.
- create video (lots of it)!
- Building brand awareness is the key reason many travel pros start shooting video. Here’s 4 types of video that has a major impact on social fans.
- host live broadcasts (team up with a guest with these tips & tools)
5 Step Video Checklist
When you start thinking about video, does your head spin? So many tech-y things to do. Here’s 5 things on my video checklist.
Know Victory & Defeat
Back in 1910 Teddy Roosevelt was leading a country mired with challenges. Here’s an excerpt from that speech that’s as fitting in 2021 as in 1910.
While we are challenged by these tumultuous times, we do have options. We can control our attitudes and outcomes. Right now, our goal is to simply discover and provide our fans with a fresh perspective on the possibilities.
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.