Do ever watch a video and tune out in a couple of seconds?
Maybe it didn’t live up to the description or deliver what the title promised. Or maybe it was such horrible audio quality you just couldn’t stand it for more than 3 seconds.
When I first started shooting video, a dear client let me know gently (and luckily early on) that my audio was scratchy and hard to listen to for more than 3 seconds. I had no idea!
Why does all this matter for your travel & tourism business?
Here’s why: Video is the fastest way to engage and reach more of your social fans.
Here’s 3 video success secrets I’ve learned along the way.
#1 – Microphone Magic
Invest in a good microphone! Whether you’re shooting video from your phone or and HD webcam, choosing an external microphone is key to ensure your viewers stick around for more than 3 seconds!
- Pro Tip: Here’s some suggestions and popular microphones.
- Secret Sauce: Remember to include captions with every video. Research shows that many people what video with the sound OFF!
#2 – The Camera Connection
Upgrade to a better camera! Looks are everything and having a better webcam will make your videos stand out and let you be seen! Whether you’re using your phone to shoot video or a webcam, invest in the best you can afford.
- Pro Tip: many of our colleagues use the Logitech 920 HD webcam. I mount mine on a tri-pod, others mount theirs right on top of their monitor.
- Secret Sauce: If you have a lapel microphone, turn off the sound from this webcam. You’ll get better sound quality from the lapel mik.
#3 – Shift your Video
Start with a bang! Research shows that many viewers tune out after 6 or 7 seconds. We all know that attention spans are shrinking faster that you can say “3,2,1 Action”. Kick off your video with your key point first to grab viewer attention. Early in your video remember to add a call to action letting people know what they can do with your information and why you’re the best option to help.
- Pro tip: many videos start with a long-winded introduction which is simply an invitation to tune out. People don’t really care about you, just about how you can help them!
- Secret Sauce: Need to earn more comments on your videos? We all know that when someone comments or makes any type of reaction, the opportunity to rank more highly in a search skyrockets. Tune in for an easy tip to tease out comments from your viewers.
Isn’t it great when you can learn from someone else’s mistake without needing to make it yourself? I briefly put my fans through some poor-quality audio so that you don’t have to (thank you to all my fans who stuck around anyway!).
Keeping these two tips in mind will help your social videos live up to and exceed your audience’s expectations.
Download your Social Marketing Survival Guide here
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.