How adaptable is your social marketing strategy?
Constantly changing social trends and world events require Travel & Tourism Pros to be as flexible as trapeze artists. The COVID-19 crisis is a clear example of how we need to be ready to quickly leap from one strategy to the next, depending on what our clients and fans want.
But that’s an extreme example, we need to keep an eye on the subtler trends too. These tools will help you understand exactly how to meet your client’s needs and exceed their expectations during any social trend.
Facebook Page Insights
These analytics deliver a wealth of knowledge about your fan base. Examine your past posts to see which post style earns the most reactions. If you’re posting about destinations you’ll have a better idea of which are most appealing to your audience.
- Turn on “Pages to Watch” and add destinations, attractions, associations to your list to better understand their engagement. Then use that as a guide to help navigate and measure your own strategy.
Google Analytics & Social Strategy
Your Google account is home to a wealth of knowledge about your web and social visitors. First step; ensure you have Google Analytics attached to your website.
Next, get into the weeds and discover which blog posts command the most traffic. Dive deeper to understand which key words bring visitors to your website.
Using these tools together to shape your travel itineraries, to influence the tone of your posts as well as guide marketing opportunities is a habit of savvy marketers.
Savvy Social Ad Hacks
Did you know that you can see what ads your suppliers, top destinations and fellow industry leaders are running? That info is hiding in plain sight on every Facebook business page. Tapping into this key knowledge helps you understand what tone of voice, style of graphics, content of video is earning eyeballs. Ad hacking is a great way to understand the pulse of the industry as well as study which # (hastags) are popular. You can then adapt your learnings to your own social strategy.
- Let’s hack some ads! That’s right, check out what your suppliers and others in the industry are advertising so that you can follow (or buck) the trends. Here’s how:
- Navigate to the business page of the company that you’d like to check out their ads
- On the left side navigation bar, click ‘Page Transparency’.
- You’ll be taken to the template shown below, click ‘Go to Ad Library’
- Filter by Ad Platform and check out the ads that are currently being run by this company.
- Click ‘See details’ below each ad to gain more information about the ad as well as the multiple graphics being split-tested.
This insider ad-hacking tip is a powerful way to better understand trends in our industry.
Keep these tools at your disposal to avoid an unexpected free fall the next time the world throws a new crisis at us. These tools and strategies will help you land the next social trend with grace.
Which will you use first?
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.