Are you wondering if video is worth your time and effort? Hint: the answer is a huge YES!
If you’re like many travel & tourism pros you may be shy on tech skills or just shy to get in front of the camera. So many of us think more about the Fear and Gear than the Wow and Ka-Pow of video.
Fear of Video
Do you remember what your mom told you when you were little…”Just try it, you’ll like it!” (ok, it worked on me with veggies). Guess what, it works with video too. Seriously, the more you do it, the easier it gets. My first videos took 7 or more shoots and the editing took me an hour. Now, it’s pretty much 1 shoot and a few minutes of editing. It still takes me awhile to glam-up!
The real truth is that it does get easier over time and that initial fear of being in front of the camera does decrease.
Hint: How about testing your video skills in your PJ’s! That’s right, no pressure as you KNOW you’ll be deleting it. It’s a great way to gain some confidence, worry-free!
Gear for Video
Let’s talk about some easy video tools that will have you ranking among the 94% of businesses see video as an effective tool.
- Your phone can be the perfect gateway gear for your new videos. Don’t be afraid to test out the onboard editing tools.
- Add some stability to your video with a tri-pod for your phone.
- If you’re interviewing another person or doing a live shoot in a destination you’ll want to invest in an external microphone. Below is an option that plugs into your mobile device.
- When you’re ready to take your video up a notch in quality, invest in an external webcam. I have the Logitech 920 that provides HD quality videos. (less than $100 on Amazon) I pop it on the top of a tri-pod that stands about an arm’s length from me. Here are others that are ranked highly.
- Invest in a quality audio microphone for your phone and your office. Here’s what I use.
- Check out these highly ranked microphones.
- Lapel microphones
- Lighting can make a huge difference both indoors and outside.
- Adding a diva light to your phone can brighten up your face making you stand out from your background. Check out this one that clips right to your phone.
- In your office facing a window, turning on a desk lamp or overhead light can help. Take that up a notch and invest in some light stands and place them at 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock with your camera positioned at 12 o’clock. Here’s what I’ve purchased for my office.
Not sure if video is the right tool to grow your social reach and engagement? You may be in for a surprise when you tune in to this video.
Having the right gear will work wonders in helping you get over your fear of videos. Who knows, designing videos might even become fun!
Even if creating videos still makes you a little nervous, the amazing benefits social videos make it all worthwhile.
What will your next video be about?
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.