Do you need some simple strategies to spice up your marketing and attract more clients to your group tours?
Maybe you’re more comfortable with a traditional style of marketing but the travel industry (actually every industry!) has shifted into the social world.
Don’t worry, you don’t need to completely abandon traditional marketing and become social savvy overnight but these strategies will help you get started socially. Try picking 2-3 of these tips as a jumping off point. Dive into all 5 to skyrocket your social savvy.
Let’s get social
Expanding your social reach to gain traction with a wider audience is where social marketing shines. In the marketing phase of group tour planning a savvy social marketer embraces these 5 strategies.
#1 – Give Something Away
- Incent potential clients to provide their contact information by giving away some type of lead magnet. This can be a downloadable freebie (think Packing Guide, Destination Guide, etc.) or a small marketing item (think luggage tag, document wallet or other tchotchke). This will not only grow your email list, it will also give you an opportunity to create a social ad audience of warm leads. More lead magnet tips. Since these people have opted in to receive your lead magnet you can add them to a custom ad audience and target future social ads to them. Here’s how.
- Create an ad sequence that starts with giving away your lead magnet and continues by drawing people further into your marketing and sales funnel.
#2 – Let’s Get Social
- Design social posts that include video, links to relevant articles featuring destination information, teaser posts that inspire conversation and engagement. These posts can also tell your story about why you chose the particular destination or the story of your business.
- Expand your reach by joining on-line groups that are related to your group destination or theme. For example, if you’re doing an American history tour of the West, check out Facebook groups such as Old West History Forum and Old West Mining Days and History. Join relevant Facebook groups and start conversations before you market in the group.
#3 – Stories Sell
- Remember to create Stories on Facebook, Instagram and Snap Chat. Stories appear differently than a regular feed on a mobile device.
- One of my favorite sales messages is “Facts Tell. Stories SELL”. More about the power of stories here.
- Creating Moments on Twitter can serve as a round-up of your tweets about the destination.
- Write blog posts highlighting the destinations you’ll visit. This isn’t an opportunity to sell, but to inspire and enlighten. Remember to share your blogs socially. Tune in and learn how to ensure your video gets found by the right people.
#4 – Let’s Play
- Build Playlists on You-Tube for each new tour or destination you serve. This allows you to share or embed the entire Playlist giving your viewers a complete line-up of relevant content.
#5 – Let’s Chat
- Create a podcast series extolling the features and benefits of the destination and traveling as part of your group.
- Go Live on your favorite social site! Live broadcasts are a super effective way to grow your fan base with people who are interested in your destinations. Remember to market your live stream video broadcast in advance to draw in the right people.
Filling your group tours more quickly and with the right people gets easier when you combine old school and new school marketing opportunities.
Amplifying your marketing efforts by adding a social component will help you reach new people where they hang out socially while providing information and edu-tainment. Embrace these key tactics to optimize your marketing efforts while saving some shoe leather.
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.