Bland or Bang-On! How do you describe your blog?
Do you ever find a blog post that grabs your attention – BOOM — in the first paragraph, but then it quickly looses your attention? Maybe the photos are poor quality or there’s just too much text without a break. What happens for you then? You stop reading, right? Guess what –It’s the same process for readers of your blog!
Blog Questions to Ponder
As you look back over your blog analytics, what do they reveal about your own readership?
Do your readers drop off after a couple of paragraphs?
Are you getting as many blog comments and shares as you think you deserve?
These are the challenges I hear about from many travel industry bloggers. Once they dive into their blog analytics, they may learn that viewership drops off and links toward the end of the posts don’t get much activity.
Earn Reader Attention
If this is a challenge for you as well, here’s a couple of tips to keep reader attention and earn more comments and shares for your blog.
- Embed video into your blog posts. Video has been shown to grab and hold reader attention.
- Provide a variety of types of graphics to support your blog content. Consider adding:
- screen shots
- text blocks
- attention grabbing headings and subheadings
- bolded text
- bullet points
- Inspire readers to join your email list or sign-up for your newsletter.
- To do this, insert a graphic showcasing the benefits of your newsletter or lead magnet. Then hyperlink this graphic to a sign-up form and collect their email address. This is a win-win; you’ll engage your readers and grow your email list at the same time.
- Include a “Related Articles” section at the end and direct readers to more of your great content.
- Be sure to include a bio paragraph at the end so that readers understand more about you and grow their relationship to you and your business.
- See examples of all these tactics in this post.
Repurpose Old Blogs
Many travel & tourism pros have an entire library of past blog posts. Do you?
I’ll bet a number of these posts still have relevant, evergreen content that your readers would love to see. So, what if you could reinvent these posts in an updated fashion? This would be the perfect way to dust off great content and the repurpose it in a fresh new fashion that would earn new eyeballs.
There’s nothing wrong with reviving great content so it can now enjoy a longer shelf life.
Here’s how to re-imagine these posts.
Blog styles change!
Keeping up with your readers’ ideas of what constitutes a great bang-on read is easy when you re-invent and re-imagine your writing. Your readers will thank you with their comments and shares.
What will you do this week to keep your blog readers engaged in your content?
Download your Social Marketing Survival Guide here
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.