Are you getting to hate the word ‘pivot’? Months ago it sure seemed like the perfect COVID word. Now it just seems overused! The bottom line is that the word is perfect, yet it’s messaging effect is getting overlooked. What can we do now to “pivot” without calling it pivoting?
Seize Social Opportunities
We’re all looking for ways to stay connected to the right people and build our future business, yet what opportunities are staring us in the face? Over my time in the travel and tourism world I’ve been thru deregulation, SARS, the bombings in Bali, the bird flu and of course, 9-1-1! Each time our savvy industry pivoted and turned these obstacles into opportunities.
Let’s study some opportunities that are presenting themselves in the social marketing arena to discover some tactics that you can use now to build toward the future.
#1 – Social Advertising is A-1
While our ad budgets may be shrinking it’s time to get serious about getting the most bang for our ad dollars. Don’t leave money on the table. Creating ad audiences that perform is job #1. When you have highly targeted ad audiences you’re paying only for the right people’s attention.
Do this now:
- Create custom ad audiences of people who have reacted to your social content most recently. This type of audience will likely reflect people who are ready and willing to travel. Advanced ad audience tips here.
- Study your ad audience analytics to determine what type of ad is resonating with your fans.
- Do the heavy lifting and ensure your pixel is working. Then study which content is actually driving people to your website. Which landing pages are performing best? Adjust or eliminate content that isn’t performing. More about pixel audience creation here.
- Create your ads in Ads Manager, NOT Boost Post! This way you’ll have the option to split test and use Dynamic ads to test which version of ads performs best. Plus, you’ll have more options for timing and placement of your ads.
- Get creative! Check out the NEW Facebook Creator Studio to get inspiration and create a new look for your social ads.
- Which of your social sites are getting you the most exposure? Take a hard look at your Google Analytics to better understand which social sites drive the most viewers to your website. Armed with this knowledge you’ll know where to focus your time and effort.
In seizing these new opportunities to understand your audiences, you’ll position yourself as the trusted advisor who’s selling dreams and wanderlust…when the time is right.
Create a New Outcome in Social Marketing
Back when I worked for a wholesale tour company that focused on Asia, our industry was hit by the triple-whammy of SARS, the bombings in Bali and the Bird Flu. All 3 were specific to Asia and I saw the writing on the wall. That’s when I took a hard look at what our industry needed and created a new outcome for my career. After some soul-searching I realized that I loved to speak to groups of travel pros and decided that helping them sell and market was a way to re-create my career path.
What can you do to create a new outcome for your business?
While the word ‘pivot’ is quickly becoming overused by businesses who are working hard to survive the pandemic, the meaning is right on track. Travel & Tourism pros need to make quick adjustments in order to adapt to our changing times. Tweaking your social ads is a quick and easy way to seize new opportunities and boost your business.
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.