Chaos. Uncertainty. Fear. It’s everywhere! TV, newspapers, social feeds!
Our industry is suffering. Yet you have the power to change the tone for your social fans. Help them cut thru the chaos and find a bit of sanity and serenity.
We all know our industry has survived many downturns. We’re resilient! We’re tough! As we start thinking about how to inspire our fans, we’ll prove that resilience once again.
Here’s 1 quick thing you can do to brighten at least a minute of your social fans’ day and bring some sanity to yours:
#1 — Communicate Socially!
Staying in touch with your fans is a valuable part of leading the way to a light at the end of this tricky tunnel. Now I don’t mean posting every single COVID-19 travel update you see.
Picture this, you open your favorite social site and see beautiful photos of places on your bucket list. Wouldn’t that brighten your day? You have the power to bring this feeling to your own social fans…and they’ll LOVE you for giving them the space to dream.
Here’s how to help your clients take a mental vacation from the stress by posting;
- Stunning photos that calm the mind
- Videos that focus on nature or humor
- Video updates that feature you as the star! Don’t make these lighting mistakes.
- #TBT to simpler times
- Short animated video (see examples below)
- Wording that invokes emotions; “dream a little”, “picture yourself here”, “imagine”
- Wording that showcases your continuing efforts; “we’re here to help”, “we’ve got your back”
- Consider posting 3 “mental vacation” posts and 1 COVID-19 update. It’s the same tactic we think of when considering how many sales-ey posts to make. Now, simply replace the sales-ey post with a COVID-19 update post. What if you took it a step further and making it 1 in 6 or 1 in 8 posts relate to this crisis.
- Focus on aspirational information rather than actionable
- Live broadcasts that provide a respite for your fans. Here’s how to broadcast with a guest.
Tune in and see some examples of short videos designed to provide viewers with a mini-vacation and STOP the scroll.
Start inspiring your fans now so that when that pent up demand has a place in the world again the stage will be set for you to shine.
#2 — The Value of Video Conferencing
Since some people may be confined to their homes, how about reaching out and NOT touching them.
Use video conferencing instead to connect with clients, colleagues and connections. Don’t miss a beat with networking, just use video conferencing instead. Check out Zoom, Microsoft Meetings, Facetime, GoTo Meeting or Skype.
Even sending a simple email letting them know you’re thinking of them and that you’re here to help is a way to build relationships, show you care and stay top of mind.
When examining the ‘who, what, why, when and how’ of handling the COVID-19 crisis and the transition to the ‘next normal’, it’s important to remember the crucial role you play to your clients. You are the ‘who’ who can help set the tone of what is to come and help to keep lines of communication open for when your clients are ready to start looking into their travel options.
How are you keeping in touch with your fans and clients?
Social Marketing Strategies for Travel and Tourism
About Catherine Heeg
Catherine Heeg is a recognized social media trail blazer passionate about social media and marketing in the tourism and hospitality industry. She takes the mystery out of marketing!
She creates and delivers meaningful, dynamic workshops that meet your unique needs in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
Catherine and her team help travel, tourism and hospitality pros design and implement social media marketing strategies and tactics that drive traffic to their social and web sites. Learn more…
Professionals who are serious about taking consistent, winning actions every day to build their business and achieve measurable results love working with Catherine.